Enable Atom Feeds and Display Icons

steven

Enable Atom Feeds and Display Icons

Post by steven »

To use feeds in phpBB, log in to the ACP and select Feed settings. In the General feed settings window under Enable feeds select the Enabled radio button. You can also choose whether or not to show Item statistics in the feed using the associated radio buttons.

I read FAQ: phpBB ATOM feeds but must have missed something because after enabling feeds, a feed icon did not appear anywhere in my browser or on my phpBB pages.

Add a Nav-Bar Board Feed Icon
To display a single board feed icon in the nav-bar you must enable the Enable board-wide feed. You can enable additional feeds but the board-wide feed is required.

To display the feed icon, open the >Styles>Prosilver>template>navbar_header.html file and locate the code below. (about line 197)

Code: Select all

<!-- IF S_DISPLAY_SEARCH and not S_IN_SEARCH -->
	<li class="rightside responsive-search">
		<a href="{U_SEARCH}" title="{L_SEARCH_ADV_EXPLAIN}" role="menuitem">
			<i class="icon fa-search fa-fw" aria-hidden="true"></i><span class="sr-only">{L_SEARCH}</span>
		</a>
	</li>
<!-- ENDIF -->
and and just before the last </ul>, about line 204, add the following code:

<!-- IF S_ENABLE_FEEDS and S_ENABLE_FEEDS_OVERALL -->
	<li class="rightside" <span><a type="application/rss+xml" class="feed-icon-forum" title="{L_FEED} - {SITENAME}" href="{U_FEED}"><i class="icon fa-rss-square fa-fw icon-orange" aria-hidden="true"></i><span class="sr-only">{L_FEED}</span></a></li>
<!-- ENDIF -->
After you make these changes, log into ACP (Admin Control Panel) and purge the cache so your changes take effect.

Display Forum Feed Icons
The Prosilver Theme contains code to show forum feed icons but the code is commented out in phpBB version 3.2.2. Forum feeds require setting two options in the Post-based feed settings. The Enable board-wide feed and Enable per-forum feeds must both be Enabled. If you disable either one of these options, the forum feeds will not function and icons will not appear.

To display the forum based icons, open the >Styles>Prosilver>template>forumlist_body.html file and locate the code below. (About line 38)

Uncomment this code by removing the comment codes <!--  and  --> at the top and bottom of the selection.

<!--
<a class="feed-icon-forum" title="{L_FEED} - {forumrow.FORUM_NAME}" href="{U_FEED}?f={forumrow.FORUM_ID}">
	<i class="icon fa-rss-square fa-fw icon-orange" aria-hidden="true"></i><span class="sr-only">{L_FEED} - {forumrow.FORUM_NAME}</span> 
</a>
-->
so it looks like the code below:

<a class="feed-icon-forum" title="{L_FEED} - {forumrow.FORUM_NAME}" href="{U_FEED}?f={forumrow.FORUM_ID}">
	<i class="icon fa-rss-square fa-fw icon-orange" aria-hidden="true"></i><span class="sr-only">{L_FEED} - {forumrow.FORUM_NAME}</span> 
</a>
After you make the changes, log into ACP (Admin Control Panel) and purge the cache so your changes take effect.

Enable both options to display icons in the forums and one in the nav-bar. If you deselect the forum feed you will have one icon in the nav-bar. If you disable the board-wide feed you will not have any feed icons.

Windows users can display Atom feeds with RSSOwl. Mac, iPhone or iPad users can display Atom feeds with Free RSS Reader. There are numerous feed readers but these are the two I tested. The URL to access your phpBB feeds with URL Rewriting enabled is:

http://yourdomainname/feed
If URL Rewriting is disabled the URL is:

http://yourdomainname/app.php/feed
if you have problems accessing feeds or if you get an error read this post.