Atom feeds not working in phpbb

Patches and other information
steven

Atom feeds not working in phpbb

Post by steven »

Recently feeds stopped working on this site. I'm not sure if it was the php 3.3.5 upgrade or the recent server upgrade. Setting URL rewriting off in the ACP control panel fixed the problem.

Before making changes, consider upgrading. This modification was corrected in phpBB v3.3.0.

After the recent upgrade to phpBB 3.2 my feeds generate an error. After some trial and error, I found adding /app.php/feed after the url allows feed access. The rewrite commands in phpBB htaccess are supposed to remove app.php from the URL but there appears to be a disconnect somewhere in the routing. The URL displays correctly in the browser but you get a to many redirects message. Firefox displays: "Firefox has detected that the server is redirecting the request for this address in a way that will never complete."
Chrome displays: "The page isn't working skdavis.net redirected you too many times".

After going through all this trouble I found some posts on phpBB: Board feed stopped working after going from 3.1.10 to 3.2.1 (too many redirects) and .htaccess not working migrate punBB to phpBB

To get your feed icon(s) to work when selected, login to ACP and go to to Server Settings>Enable URLRewriting and select No. Feed icons will work properly but the URL access your phpBB board wide feed will be:

Code: Select all

http://yourdomainname/app.php/feed
While it is best to disable URLRewriting, adding the following code just before the last </ul> in the navbar_header.html file will place a functioning feed icon in the navbar. The URL will still contain app.php/feed so it's really easier to turn URLRewriting off instead of adding additional code. Additionally this code will not fix the URLs for individual forum feeds if URLRewrites are enabled.
(You must replace your_domain_name in the code below with your domain name)

Code: Select all

<!-- IF S_ENABLE_FEEDS and S_ENABLE_FEEDS_OVERALL -->
			<li class="rightside" <span><a type="application/rss+xml" class="feed-icon-forum" title="{L_FEED} - {SITENAME}" href="https://your_domain_name/app.php/feed"><i class="icon fa-rss-square fa-fw icon-orange" aria-hidden="true"></i><span class="sr-only">{L_FEED}</span></a></li>
		<!-- ENDIF -->
WordPress uses the same type of Rewrite rule so I tested WordPress permalinks and the URL rewrites work perfectly on the same server running phpBB. A bug has been submitted and confirmed atom feed using http-auth.
ahmadalnuaimi

Re: Atom feeds not working in phpbb

Post by ahmadalnuaimi »

Dear,

Can I have the download link for the Atom feed reader for Phpbb 3.2.7 please ?
steven

Post by steven »

There are no feed readers written for specifically for phpbb. When feed readers encounter a feed URL, they display the content of the feed. The way feeds are displayed depends on the feed reader.

If you are using Google Chrome you can install their RSS extension.

If you are using Mozilla Firefox you can install Live Marks, Brief RSS extension or RSS Preview.

If you want to use a standalone third party reader try RSS Owl.

There are many feed readers but I have only used the Google RSS extension, Firefox Brief and RSS Owl.
ahmadalnuaimi

Post by ahmadalnuaimi »

Thank you for your prompt response. I meant I need to install it on my VBulletin website to withdraw the threads from other websites. Bit I couldn’t find a version work on Vbulletin phpbb v.3.2.7

Any suggestions?

Thanks
steven

Post by steven »

I'm a bit confused because vBulletin and phpBB are different programs. I am not familiar with vBulletin so I can't help with questions. If you are using phpBB you might try the smart feeds extension. According to the features, it has the ability to integrate external feeds but I'm not sure how it works.

Additionally you can check Smixmods Feed News Center v0.4.0 which may do what you want. Apparently the mod was abandoned but the download link still works. I have not found any extensions that appear to do what you asked.

I have never used these extensions so you will need to use the discussion forum or contact the author(s) for support.
ahmadalnuaimi

Post by ahmadalnuaimi »

Yes, you’re right. I mixed between them; I thought they are same. Thank you for the explanation :) I am just a beginner in installing phpbb. I’ll try the smart feed extension.

Thank you