MariaDB my.cnf file

Paul Barrett

MariaDB my.cnf file

Post by Paul Barrett »

In order to ensure that the migration of large WordPress installations from a hosted to Synology environment succeeds, it has been suggested that a my.cnf file needs to exist with the following parameters:

Code: Select all

[mysqld]

wait_timeout = 28800
interactive_timeout = 28800
Synology have a an article on this:
https://www.synology.com/en-global/know ... nology_NAS

... but although it describes WHAT you need to do, it does not say HOW to do it.

I have never used the CLI before and I am therefore struggling.

- I have created the my.cnf file
- I have installed PuTTY
- I have figured out how to login as admin and change to the directory where the .cnf file is located
- I think the syntax to move the file to the correct location is:

Code: Select all

mv my.cnf /var/packages/MariaDB/etc/
... but when I run it, it generates this error:
mv: cannot stat ‘my.cnf’: No such file or folder
- I have checked that both folders exist and they do
- In File Station I can see the file in the \public folder
- But when I do "ls -a" in the public folder I don't see the file

Where am I going wrong do you think?
steven

Re: MariaDB my.cnf file

Post by steven »

I am curious, how large are your databases and why do you need to change the configuration?

I assume you logged in with sudo privileges. That said where is your my.cnf file located? It appears putty cannot find your file. Did you enter the correct path to the file?

Since this file is very small, you could use Putty to create the file. Instructions are in the link below.

30 Useful Putty Commands for Beginners
Paul Barrett

Post by Paul Barrett »

I am doing this on the recommendation of the Support Team at UpdraftPlus as the potential solution to a problem ftping files from my WP/TNG hosted site to my DiskStation. There is no guarantee of success but it's a step I need to go through

With regard to the CLI issues it was lack of privileges. I had not used the sudo -i command to acquire super privileges. As soon as I did that, all the other commands worked fine.
Paul Barrett

Post by Paul Barrett »

The reason I am doing this is that I started off down a road of trying to use a plugin to get my hosted site copied to my DiskStation and I want to bring that to a +ve outcome.

I realise I have the option to do this using your proposed method with teh TNG backup files but I want to exhaust the Updraft possibilities first.
steven

Post by steven »

I hope everything works for you. In the beginning I tried some things, I knew little about, and ended up wrecking my NAS. Finally I had to reinstall the OS so I'm a bit more cautious now. I purchased about 20 books on different topics which have helped. I should mention the NANO editor and many more programs are available, contrary to many online posts. This link has instructions for adding the Syno Community resource .

If you decide to install NANO, it will not appear on your desktop. To use NANO start Putty and login with Sudo -i privileges. Type nano while in Putty and the NANO program loads. I believe you will find NANO makes editing much easier.