Install TNG on a Synology NAS

steven

Re: Install TNG on a Synology NAS

Post by steven »

Great, glad you have it working! I posted in my instructions:
Item 3 - Do not select the set permissions button because this will generate an error and the correct permissions were set earlier. (TNG cannot change file permissions on a Synology DSM.)
Without knowing the exact steps you took, I have no idea why you had the php5.6 versus php7 403 error.
willifly

Post by willifly »

It may be that this question has already been asked. I just signed in because I have a problem and can not get on. I've installed Wordpress and since then I can not access my TNG folder locally to complete the configuration. TNG is in the web folder. Calling the "readme.html" was possible before installing wordpress. But I was not done with configuring TNG yet, because I did not manage that with the database. Only through this guide, I have done it. Now I need help to configure TNG. My knowledge of this problem is a bit lean, as they say.
Waiting for help in germany :?
steven

Post by steven »

First I have a few questions, before determining the best way to finish setting up TNG:
  1. Are you using the Synology version of WordPress?
  2. If you are not using the Synology version, is WordPress installed in a folder inside the web folder?
  3. Did you create a folder for TNG in the wordpress folder or is TNG installed in the web folder?
  4. Did you create a user and database for TNG?
willifly

Post by willifly »

Are you using the Synology version of WordPress?
-Yes, and Wordpress is with the plugin installed and the links were applicable to the folder.
If you are not using the Synology version, is WordPress installed in a folder inside the web folder?
-not applicable but wordpress is also in the web folder as seperat folder
Did you create a folder for TNG in the web folder or is TNG installed in the web folder?
-Is installed under the web folder with a folder named "Ahnen" instead TNG
Did you create a user and database for TNG?
-Yes, this was my problem in the beginning. I have used your guid and were folloing step by step.

I tryed to install a host but without result.
folder.jpg
folder.jpg (64.14 KiB) Viewed 148475 times
web station.jpg
web station.jpg (77.26 KiB) Viewed 148475 times
option.jpg
option.jpg (109.76 KiB) Viewed 148475 times
willifly

Post by willifly »

Here is the data base for TNG as picture too. You see, I used your approach.
database.jpg
database.jpg (120.68 KiB) Viewed 148475 times
steven

Post by steven »

Thank you for supplying all that information.
willifly wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 3:09 pm Are you using the Synology version of WordPress?
-Yes, and Wordpress is with the plugin installed and the links were applicable to the folder.
First you named the TNG folder Ahnen. If a folder is going to be used for a virtual host or web address, all the letters should be lower case. Second, I assume you are referring to the TNG WordPress plugin. I never had any luck with that plugin but I have not tried it for a few years. The easiest way to get TNG working is do not use WordPress for now.

When you enter your domain name does it go directly to WordPress? If it does, WordPress has placed an index.php file in the web root which is fine. You can change the TNG folder name to lower case and set up a virtual host so you can connect to TNG or try typing in the address with something like the code below:

Code: Select all

http://yourdomainname/ahnen/readme.html
Either the virtual host or direct entry method should load the TNG readme.html file allowing you to finish setting up TNG. Follow the instructions except setting permissions. You must set permissions manually using file station or a program like putty. Once you get TNG connected to the database, use the readme file so TNG creates the administrator user and the database tables. Once this is complete, you may need to contact the plugin authors for help as I have no experience using that plugin.
willifly

Post by willifly »

You are the greatest! I changed only one letter and can access the folder "ahnen" over the Internet and immediately get the readme.html displayed. Ok, I'll configure it tomorrow and see if it works. Actually, I do not need WordPress here, but when I tried to uninstall it, I had an issues with the database password, so I had to leave it alone. I will report how it goes on. Incidentally, I had in the PHP settings all hooked as set in the instructions and then my owncloud did not work anymore. That's why I put all the hooks there and now it works again.
Best regards and thank you Hartmut
willifly

Post by willifly »

I could not resist it and tried it right away. I was also able to configure TNG over the Internet because the server is located with a friend. Everything worked, although it took a while to create the user. Now all I have to do is integrate my data as gedcom. Thanks again. Hartmut
steven

Post by steven »

willifly wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 5:05 pm I had in the PHP settings all hooked as set in the instructions and then my owncloud did not work anymore. That's why I put all the hooks there and now it works again.
The php settings I mention are for TNG. I edited the instructions and made the line below larger so it stands out.
Steve wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:21 am While TNG does not require every extension, other software may require options not used by TNG.
There many programs that require additional modules. In any case I'm really glad you have it working now.
Best Wishes!
willifly

Post by willifly »

Now, since everything works, I have a question about the settings. As I already wrote, I do not have much knowledge and especially databases. Where and what setting do I have to set to use German special characters (Coding). Otherwise, the images are not found, because of an "ö" (oe) a "?" becomes.
Otherwise, I have to say again that with your tutorial it was a piece of cake to install TNG on a second server for a trial. It worked immediately.