Set up a Website on your Synology Server

steven

Re: Set up a Website on your Synology Server

Post by steven »

I use WordPress on one of my sites with WPForms, for emails, which has the features I described earlier.

Synology is pretty good at supporting their packages but wish you luck at getting them to help with anything else. I get a server 504 error when uploading really large files to the MariaDB database. I asked Synology for help, but none of their answers resolved the problem. Manually altering NGINX works until the next Synology upgrade, which over-writes any changes I make.

So I really do like my Synology NAS but get frustrated at times when looking for answers. Needless to say I've had to study a lot to get everything working on my sites.
vram365

Post by vram365 »

Hi Steve:

I could successfully follow all steps unto the point of setting up the Virtual Host. Inside the web folder, I have 2 subfolders web1 and web2, each containing all files for WordPress. I want my domain to point to web/web1. However it points to the index.html on the web folder and does not respect the subfolder that I have setup in the Virtual Host. What could be the issue?

thanks,
Ben
steven

Post by steven »

Using DSM, check the permissions on the web1 and/or web2 folders. the http user needs read/write permission. If permissions are correct make sure you have php configured and the entries are correct for the Virtual Host. The host should be similar to the following:

If you are using SSL check the HSTS and HTTP/2 boxes.

There may be information in this post on pages 2 and 3 that may help.
vram365

Post by vram365 »

I have Read / Write / Execute Permissions granted to Owner / Group / Others to the 2 subfolders. What did you mean by "make sure you have php configured"? Sorry I did not get that part. Also, I think my Virtual Host is configured properly (screenshot).
Attachments
Screen Shot 2020-06-09 at 8.47.46 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-06-09 at 8.47.46 PM.png (43.06 KiB) Viewed 24793 times
steven

Post by steven »

You must assign read/write permissions for the http user. Otherwise no one can access the folder from the internet. Use File Station to view the web folder, then right click on web1 and select properties. Click the permissions tab and make sure the http user has read/write permission. If they do not or the user doesn't exist click the inherit permissions option.

Click here for php configuration instructions.
NeveApefa

Post by NeveApefa »

Are there specific challenges or best practices you've encountered when setting up a website on your Synology server, especially concerning issues like server errors, file permissions, and virtual host configuration?
steven

Post by steven »

This was written some time ago using DSM 5 and DSM 6 but there are no specific challenges I can think of.

The only server errors I've encountered were programming errors, I made, in either Apache or PHP.

If you are using a third party program, it is best to unzip the program files using file station so all permissions are set automatically for internet access.

The steps to configure virtual hosts changed in DSM 7. I have not had time to write new instructions.