TNG Canonical Tag Mod

steven

TNG Canonical Tag Mod

Post by steven »

I submitted a URL to Google for indexing but the response was a "Duplicate without user-selected canonical" message.

I had received this message before so I checked the Google Console manager to see how many pages were not indexed due to this condition. (This is a geneaology website with more than 150,000 individuals so there were a lot of pages)

Before installing the mod, I checked a link that could not be indexed. Notice the referring page links to a different Google selected canonical.
This means the referring page is not indexed and does not appear in Google search results. The Google selected canonical page does appear in search results.

After installing the mod, the page can be indexed as shown below below.

Adding a canonical tag does not guarantee a search engine will index all of your website. Canonical tags reduce can duplicate issues and ensure links are accurate and connect to the correct person and not someone else.

After installing the mod, the following files can be commented out from tngrobots.php. Pages created by thos files may or may not be indexed but will not cause a Duplicate without user-selected canonical" message.
ahnentafel.php
descend.php
descendtables.php
descendtext.php
descendvert.php
extrastree.php
fan.php
getperson.php mods
pedigree.php
pedigreetext.php
register.php
verticalchart.php

The original mod was written so the canonical link was the same as the agent mode used by the bot or crawler (standard or mobile).
After numerous tests with Googlebot is was determined this was detrimental to pages being indexed as shown below.

The latest revision uses a generic canonical link that is not dependent on the crawler or bot scanning mode.

canonical_tag_mod_v14.0.3.2.zip
(854 Bytes) Downloaded 15 times

TNG WIKI Download Link for v13 and v14

Revisions:
29 May 2024 - v13.1.2.2.zip - Removed site version from canonical link
09 May 2024 - v13.1.2.1a.zip - First Public Release